From SEN Wiki
Students will have trouble keeping up with their peers in lessons. May also struggle to participate in discussions. Can have difficulty staying focussed.
In the classroom
- Check from time to time that the student understands the lesson.
- Use a signal to re-engage the student if s/he is losing focus.
- Encourage participation by giving extra time to respond in group discussions.
- Encourage the student to email questions if they struggle to form or ask them within the lesson.
- Simplify written directions and speak slowly when giving instructions.
- Consider providing copies of slides or notes for those who can't keep up with note-taking.
- Break down large written tasks like essays into smaller sub-tasks with additional deadlines.
- Show students examples of what a finished task looks like before the work is started.
- Provide a checklist of how work will be marked prior to the commencement of assignments.
- Consider options other than written reports as a means of demonstrating the student's understanding.